Once more, it's time for the Daring Cooks Challenge!
Rachael of pizzarossa was our August 2012 Daring Cook hostess and she challenged us to broaden our knowledge or cornmeal! Rachel provided us with some amazing recipes and encouraged us to hunt down other cornmeal recipes that we'd never tried before - opening our eyes to the literally 100s of cuisines and 1000s of new-to-us recipes!
I like corn dogs. It's summer. It feels like State Faire time of year. I don't think I need to say any more.
Mini Corn Dogs
- 4 hot dogs (cut in half for mini)
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup corn meal
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 egg
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- oil for deep frying
- flour for dusting
- Cut hot dogs in half and put toothpicks in the ends
- Mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, cayenne, egg and buttermilk. Add extra buttermilk for beer if needed to get the right condistency
- Roll hot dogs in flour and tap off the excess. Dip in batter and fry in 350 degree oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.