These are some sweets that I remember from my childhood. My aunt used to make these great strawberry and red bean mochi (or sometimes peanut butter mochi) for special occasions. There was also a bakery near my house that would make excellent versions of these sweets too.
These are easy to make a very impressive looking. They're not for everyone, but if you like mochi you will surely like these.
- 8 oz sweet rice flour (like Mochiko)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- red bean paste
- small strawberries
- kinako flour or cornstarch
- Mix sugar, rice flour and water together in a heatproof glass bowl that will fit in your steamer. This should be liquid.
- Place bowl in steamer and steam until entire mixture is translucent and sticky. Stir every 5 minutes or so until done.
- Remove bowl from steamer and pour mixture out onto a cutting board or butcher paper dusted with cornstarch. Let cool a few minutes
- While mochi is cooling (or before), flatten some sweet read bean paste and wrap around strawberries.
- Cut small pieces of the mochi, flatten sightly with well dusted hands and wrap around strawberry and red bean paste. Let cool completely before eating.
One year ago: Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes
Two years ago: Pita Bread
Three years ago: Japanese Potato Salad
Four years ago: Sourdough Danishes
Five years ago: Almond Rochers