I've been looking for a great vanilla cake recipe for several years. They've always been good, but they've never been great cakes. I must say, this cake is one of those great cakes (though it is better as cupcakes... not quite sure why). It's soft, springy and has a strong vanilla flavor. It is the perfect vanilla cake and can easily be turned into a funfetti cake for a great birthday. The cupcakes at the bottom were made for my husband's League of Legends party last year (don't ask, it's a nerdy video game thing that I don't quite understand, but I indulge him anyway).
Next time you need a great, simple vanilla cupcake recipe, try this one out. It may seem a bit liquidy for a cupcake recipe, but it turns out wonderful.
Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe (adapted from Cupcake Project)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, pulp removed and mixed with the sugar
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 milk
- 2 Tbsp sprinkles (if making funfetti cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix sugar and vanilla bean together until no large pieces remain.
- Mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Add sugar and butter and mix until it is the texture of fine crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add egg mixture to the flour and mix until just combine.
- Slowly add milk while mixing until just combined. Add sprinkles if using.
- Pour batter into papered cupcake pan or prepared cake pans and bake until done (about 14 minutes for cupcakes... maybe 20 for cake. Test with a cake tester to make sure it's done)
- Let cool completely and frost with desired topping