Blackened Tilapia Tacos




Fish tacos have got to be one of my favorite "Mexican" foods even though baja fish tacos (or especially the cajun blackened fish tacos) are about as tex-mex as you get. But these are super delicious and make a pretty light dinner. They don't feel heavy like Mexican food normally feels, most likely due to the lack of cheese and the presence of a great vinegar based coleslaw. If you make the cajun spice mix well in advance (this makes almost a whole cup of spice mix, so you'll have it for a while) you can throw this recipe together in a pinch. The spice mix is also great for a bunch of other more traditional cajun/creole recipes like gumbo or jambalaya. 

Since we'll be moving back to California at the end of the summer, I've been trying to expand my repertoire of southern dishes so I can bring them home with me. It's taken me a while, but I've learned to love collard greens and (never thought I'd say this) grits while I've lived in Virginia. Damn, I am certainly going to miss good shrimp, grits, greens and bbq when I move back. I even like okra now. I never thought I'd see the day when that would happen.

I'm not normally a fan of Emeril and his recipes, but I must admit, this amended version of his bayou blast is really on the best spice mixes out there.

Ingredients for Cajun Spice Mix
  • 2 Tbsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 Tbsp dry thyme
  • 1 Tbsp dry oregano
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp dry mustard powder
  • dried lemon or orange zest (or add a little fresh to whatever you are using it on)
Ingredients for Fish Tacos
  • Tilapia or other firm what fish 
  • Corn or flour tortillas
  • Any vinegar based coleslaw
  • Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • mayonnaise
  • Cajun spice mix
Directions
  1. Generously rub the fish fillets with cajun spice mix.
  2. Cook with neutral oil in a pan until well blackened on both sides, finishing in the oven if necessary for thicker fillets
  3. Meanwhile, chop one chipotle chili and mix with 1/4 -1/2 cup mayonnaise (depending on your spice preference). 
  4. Build fish tacos with tortillas, chipotle mayonnaise, fish and coleslaw. Serve with rice and beans if desired


One Year Ago Rocky Road Brownies
Two Years Ago Beet and Goat Cheese Ravioli
Three Years Ago Japanese Potato Salad
Four Years Ago Shrimp Scampi

Comments

  1. I SO love fish tacos, and this version with cajun-kick looks totally awesome! Drooling as I write this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment