West African Chicken and Peanut Soup



One of my favorite blogs has always been Taras Multicultural Table. I discovered it as part of Secret Recipe Club and I always wanted to have her blog as my partner. Sadly, that never happened (but I did add a "By Region" section in my recipes because of her).

I'm always trying to make different ethnic foods. This is a wonderful recipe that has easy ingredients you can get anywhere. This West African chicken stew with peanuts, greens and yams is super hearty and delicious. I like this recipe because it doesn't have a too much peanut butter like some of the recipes I found. Some of them call for a full cup or even 2, which just sounded so fatty and too strong. This one was just right (though it could have used a little more heat. Adjust to taste as you desire).

Ingredients

  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp grated ginger
  • 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized chunks
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 1 lb sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
  • 6 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 large bunch of collard greens, sliced into thick strips
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, plus extra for garnish.
  • salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Directions
  1. Sautee onion, garlic and ginger in a little oil until fragrant. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned.
  2. Add peanuts, chicken stock, yams, tomatoes and collards and cook until potatoes are tender. Sir in peanut butter and adjust seasoning to taste.
  3. Serve with right and a few extra peanuts for garnish.
Five years ago: Chicken Kiev

Comments