Chicken Kiev



Two years ago, I purchased a book of Russian, German and Polish cooking at the thrift store for $5. I had no experience with Russian, German or Polish cooking, but I knew I loved Chicken Kiev and streusel.

It took me a long time to find reason to make this recipe. I was always intimidated since Chicken Kiev was a restaurant food, not something I'd ever had at home. But I made it and it proved easy and delicious. It was something I could start in the morning, go out for the rest of the day, and make in 20 minutes once I got home. It was even boyfriend approved (and I am always looking for boyfriend approved recipes)

Chicken Kiev


Ingredients

  • 2 oz (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 grated orange zest
  • 2 Tbsp fresh chopped tarragon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 chicken breast fillets
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • oil for frying
  • salt and pepper to taste



Direction

  1. Mix butter, garlic, orange zest, and tarragon in a bowl until all ingredients are incorporated. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Shape butter into rectangular block and freeze for 1 hour
  2. Place chicken on a piece of cling wrap and pound to ½ inch thickness or at least fairly thin.
  3. Cut the butter in half lengthwise and place in each fillet. Secure the sides with cocktail sticks or fold around the butter like a burrito, tucking in the edges. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight
  4. Salt and pepper chicken to taste. Dip chicken into beaten egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs. Set aside.
  5. Pan fry chicken for 8 minutes or until done. If golden brown and not cooked completely through, finish chicken in the broiler for a couple minutes. Serve hot with potatoes and a lemon wedge.



Comments