Oatmeal is always such a great, simple breakfast but it can get very boring after a while. Even so, it is still extremely versatile. This oatmeal is one of my favorites because it tastes like dessert and it's full of vegetables and not too much sugar. You can dress it up as much or as little as you want. I top mine with a big dollop of greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup. The richness of the dairy really adds something special. You could also top it with cream cheese frosting, I suppose, if you have it on hand.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- dried cranberries or raisins
- preferred sweetener to taste
- cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, etc
- Melt butter in a pan and brown the oats lightly.
- Add water, milk, spices and 3/4 of the carrots to the pot and simmer until thickened. Add more milk if necessary
- Season oatmeal to taste with honey, maple syrup, agave or brown sugar. Spoon into bowls and top with reserved carrots, cranberries and nuts. Serve with yogurt or cream cheese if desired.
1 Year ago: Eggs Benedict with Welsh Rarebit
2 Years ago Chili from Dry Beans
4 years ago: Easy Coffee Cake
5 years ago: Tartine Bakery Shortbread Cookies