Eggs Benedict with Welsh Rarebit Sauce

 
When I was growing up, there was a fabulous English pub downtown called Fox and Goose. I went there a couple times after I turned 21, but I mostly went for Sunday brunch in my youth. I remember they didn't take reservations, so you had to arrive quite early. However, their drinks were great and the food was fantastic. My mom always got pancakes (because she's kind of boring like that) but I would usually get the eggs benedict.
 
Now I know eggs benedict is usually a pretty boring brunch staple, but this place did it so well. You got to choose whether you wanted smoked salmon, slab bacon, spinach or grilled tomatoes (instead of Canadian bacon) and then it was topped with Welsh Rarebit sauce instead of Hollandaise. I do like hollandaise sauce but damn, Welsh Rarebit on eggs and slab bacon is absolutely brilliant.
 
Rarebit is a pretty easy sauce. Make a roux, add beer, add cheese and adjust with mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Simple, but so tasty.
 
Eggs Benedict with Welsh Rarebit Sauce
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 bottle of stout beer
  • large handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • dry mustard powder
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Eggs
  • Slab bacon
  • Toast
Directions
  1. Melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour and cook until raw flour taste is cooked out.
  2. Add beer, stirring constantly and cook until thickened slightly.
  3. Add cheese, stirring constantly until melted. Season to taste with salt, Worcestershire and mustard powder.
  4. Assemble eggs benedict with toast, cooked slab bacon, poached eggs and Welsh Rarebit sauce on top.


Comments