Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


Hello again. Long time no see.

I love how busy life has been since moving to LA. Every week, we have an event going on. Every day I'm at work (love it, busy and hell and not stressed). Every day I have lots of chores to do while my husband is in school. I have lots of food to make now that I no longer work in hospitality and no longer have a chef to make me delicious food. I don't cook as much as I would like anymore because I'm so busy, but I'm more challenged and happier than I've been in a while. I wish I saw my husband more, but it's okay. Life is good.

One of the things I miss most about Virginia is the chef at my old work. He made the most excellent cajun and creole food. I loved the gumbo and jambalaya and shrimp etouffe that I can get here, but not as easily (no as cheaply). I made this at home and it was honestly one of the best things I've ever made. I highly recommend it. Best of all, all my coworkers were jealous of my lunch all week long.;

Ingredients

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 lb andouille or smoked hot sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 ribs celery, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 4 clubs beef stock
  • Worcestershire sauce (8 dashes or so)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups okra, cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 1/4 cup chopped curly parsley
Directions
  1. Place oil in a large dutch oven. Season chicken with salt and pepper and sear in the oil until well browned. Remove.
  2. Add butter and flour to the oil and cook, stirring consistently, until a very dark roux forms.
  3. Add celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic to the roux and cook a few minutes until tender. Add cajun seasoning, rosemary, bay leaves, stock and worcestershire, stirring until well combined. Cover and cook for 1 hour
  4. Add tomatoes, parsley and okra. Cover halfway and cook another 45 minutes to an hour.
  5. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice and extra fresh parsley.
One year ago: Chicken Pho
Four years ago: Rye Hot Dog Buns
Five years ago: Smoked Salmon Baked Eggs

Comments