We had left over smoked salmon from yesterday's breakfast so I made simple baked eggs for breakfast. I would normally do it with pancetta instead, but c'est la vie. It was only missing capers
It's a great easy breakfast for as many people as you want, and one of the easiest ways to make eggs for a crowd, and a fun way to make eggs for an individual
Baked eggs in tomatoes
- 4 medium to large tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 pieces of smoked salmon
- small handfull of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the interior seeds and pulp. Turn upside down and allow to dry on a paper towel for 15 minutes
- Chiffonade basil. Mix with a little freshly ground black pepper and olive oil. Spread on the inside of the tomatoes
- Place a piece of smoked salmon inside the tomato and bake for 20 minutes or until tomatoes have begun to soften slightly.
- Crack eggs into the tomatoes and bake another 10 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft.
- Serve immediately with toast points