I always love a good banana bread on the weekends for breakfast. Any breakfast bread is an unhealthy treat, so I wanted to find something that was a little more healthy that would have the same moisture, earthiness and great flavor of one of my more cake-like banana breads.
This bread was very tasty on a lazy Saturday morning. It has a lot of bananas, more than most usual recipes. It does have butter instead of apple sauce like so many healthy banana bread recipes have, but the treatment of the fat and sugar as you would treat a regular cake makes this bread very fluffy. It's wonderful for breakfast with a nice cup of coffee.
- 5 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup nuts
- cocoa powder
- Mix together mashed bananas and greek yogurt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and add all of the liquid ingredients. Then finish with the other half of the dry ingredients
- Remove 1/3 of your batter into a separate bowl and mix in desired amount of cocoa powder (2 or 3 Tbsp? I didn't really measure). Fold in nuts to the remaining batter
- Spoon the batters in alternating patterns into a greased loaf ban. Run a knife through it if you want to create a swirled patter. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour until done.
One Year Ago: Pozole Rojo
Two Years Ago: Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast
Three Years Ago: Tomatillo Salsa
Four Years Ago: Pomme de Terre Macaire