Sous Vide Maple Rosemary Pork Tenderloin


For Christmas this year, my husband got me one of those fancy immersion circulators for cooking sous vide. I know, I got myself a winner. These machines are expensive, but I've been wanted to experiment with sous vide cooking for quite some time. I have had some successes and some failures with this machine, but I keep trying to find some great recipes.

I'm still not confident enough in sous vide cooking to deviate from a recipe by much. For one, you need to season food a lot more than you might normally. You don't have the browning reaction at the beginning. Foods spend a longer amount of time exposed to low heat, so certain fresh herbs or daily might not do well. There are a lot of factors to take into account and it can be a little intimidating.

I tried pork tenderloin because it is notoriously difficult to cook. Well, it' always fine when I make it, but it could always be better. This one was absolutely fantastic. Not dried out at all and perfectly flavored with just the right mix of herbs, sweet and savory. Best of all, sous vide is really the fancy mans crockpot. You basically bag it, set it and forget it...but it's so much more than that. It's an expense (about $170 for the Anova and extra for a vacuum sealer) but I know I'll be using this for years to come.


This brilliant recipe comes from the Anova customer submitted recipes section and it is divine!

Ingredients
  • 1 1lb pork tenderloin
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 yellow apples, peeled and diced
  • splash apple cider vinegar
Directions
  1. Mix rosemary, maple, salt and pepper together and rub all over pork tenderloin. Put pork and all seasonings in a vacuum bag and seal on the moist setting. Let pork marinate 2 hours
  2. Place pork in a water bath at 135 degrees for 2 hours.
  3. Remove pork from bag, reserving juices, and pat dry with towels. Sear in a little oil in a smoking hot cast iron skillet until browned on all sides (about 3 minutes total) Let pork rest 10 minutes before slicing
  4. Meanwhile, add shallot and apple to pan to cook until softened. Add bag juices and apple cider vinegar. If not enough liquid, add chicken stock to cook the apples until soft.
  5. Season to taste and serve with the sliced pork loin.



Comments