Beet, Grapefruit and Radish Salad with Tahini Dressing


2015 was a pretty amazing year (as you could see from my previous food posts). But in real life it was pretty great too. I didn't keep the resolutions I wanted (as if I thought I could run a 10k). I was optimistic, as you should be, but not quite practical. I'm going to make a list again this year and hopefully i'll keep myself more accountable.

1. Post on this blog at least once a week (I managed it last year, lets keep it up)
2. Read at least 50 pages per night
3. Finish all lessons of rosetta stone Japanese by the end of the year
4. Learn something new daily.

I think these are reasonable... don't you? My husband and I aren't so bad off. We eat relatively healthy foods on a regular basis (you just get the more interesting, sometimes fattier) meals that we make in this blog. We're pretty good at saving money for the future, but there's always room for improvement. Lets start with the things I listed (little things) and go from there.

Since it is the beginning of the year, I'm going to start everyone off with a healthy recipe. This amazing salad comes from this wonderful cookbook of Moroccan cooking. The recipe is simple, fresh and perfect any time of year. The citrus and the raw beets make a perfect paring. You can serve it with or without lettuce, but I like a little bed of bib lettuce underneath.

Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp tahini paste
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 Tbsp lime juice
  • water as needed
  • 3 oz red radishes, sliced thinly on mandolin
  • 14 oz raw beets, peeled and sliced thinly on mandolin
  • 1 pink grapefruit, zested, peeled and sliced in circles
  • 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp fresh dill
  • salt and pepper
Directions
  1. Mix together tahini, ginger, garlic, lime juice in a mason jar and shake until you make a well combined dressing. Add water and season with salt as necessary.
  2. Slice the radishes and beets paper thin, leaving them separate. Arrange attractively on serving plate over a bed of bibb lettuce
  3. Zest grapefruit. Peel remaining pith and slice grapefruit. Arrange slices over beets and radishes. Sprinkle zest over salad and dress with a drizzle of tahini dressing.
  4. Sprinkle dill and toasted sesame seeds over salad and serve with warm pita bread.
 

Comments