It's the third Monday of the month! The third Monday of the month is a better than average Monday because it just so happens to be time for Secret Recipe Club. I'm sure ya'll already know what it is, but here's a little info for those who don't.
Secret Recipe Club is a great collection of bloggers who make each other's recipes. They're assigned another member's blog an
choose a recipe to make and feature on their own. They keep it secret (of course) and everyone reveals on a particular day. It's a great way to discover your fellow bloggers and revisit some great recipes from your own collection.
This month, I was assigned Julia's blog Little Bit of Everything. Julia lives in Nebraska and loves to cook, travel and garden. I wish I had a yard, let alone space for a garden where I live. I would love to grow my own vegetables and use only the freshest things from my garden. Her blog is full of great, homey recipes from a variety of cookbooks and other blogs. I really like that her index linked to a section on Pinterest where I could see images of all of her recipes. It helped me know that I really wanted to make her Lemon Butter Baked Shrimp. We had a lot of extra Shrimp in our freezer and it seemed like a great, easy weeknight meal that wouldn't keep the oven on for very long. It hasn't been that hot this week (about 90) but humid enough that I still don't want to keep the oven on.
This recipe was super delicious. It would have been wonderful with crusty bread, as Julia suggested, but we wanted something a little heartier. We served ours with whole wheat pasta (just tossed with parmesan cheese) and asparagus. The sauce from the shrimp was a great way to dress this simple pasta dish.
I made a few changes, but not many. I don't carry Italian Seasoning in my pantry, so I used my own combination of things when seasoning this shrimp. Additionally, I cut down on the butter (but it was still delicious). Thanks for this wonderful recipe Julia!
Lemon Baked Shrimp
- 1lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (no smaller than 21-25)
- 4 to 6 Tbsp butter
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large pinch of dry basil
- 1 large pinch dry oregano
- 1 small pinch thyme
- 1 small pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 small pinch garlic powder
- 1 small pinch onion pwoder
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 lemons
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley and scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a glass pan (8x11 rectangle or 9 inch pie pan) in the oven with the butter and garlic until the butter is melted.
- Remove pan and arrange lemon slices in a single layer over the bottom. Arrange shrimp on top of the lemon slices.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper as desired over the shrimp. Then sprinkle the blend of basil, oregano, thyme and red pepper over the top of the shrimp. Nestle the rosemary in the shrimp as well..
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes and garnish with fresh parsley. Toss and serve over pasta or with bread.