Watermelon Jello Shots



For Memorial Day weekend, I made an awesome dessert. Can you call jello shots a dessert, or is a drink? Who really knows.

I must admit, I'm a little old for jello shots, but I saw this amazing post on buzzfeed with a recipe for making jello shots in a hallowed out watermelon rind so the slices look like slices of watermelon. That sounded like the cutest idea ever for a great summer bbq and I knew I had to make it to bring to our friend's house.

There's something so fun and so trashy about jello shots. I thought I had grown out of them in my college days, but these almost seem like grown up jello shots. Don't get me wrong, they taste boozy and strong, but they seem classy. And, just like the jello shots from your college days, they still give you a monster hangover (especially if you mix this with beer and sunburns and time by the pool).

I've had problems with jello shots not solidifying in the past, but the addition of extra unflavored gelatin really helps. Give this recipe a try the next time you're having a grown up party. This recipe makes half a watermelon.

Watermelon Jello Shot
Ingredients
  • 1 watermelon (12 lbs or so, hollowed out)
  • 2 3oz boxes of red jello (watermelon on cherry)
  • 1 box (4 envelopes, 1 oz total) unflavored gelatin
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 cups vodka
Directions
  1. Hollow out a watermelon.
  2. Mix together flavored and unflavored gelatin. Add hot water, stirring the whole time so no lumps form
  3. Add vodka and pour into watermelon half.
  4. Let set completely and slice with a long, sharp knife. Eat in moderation

Comments