Banh Mi Sandwiches with pickled carrots and daikon




So I never ate Vietnamese food until I went off the college. I didn't know what I was missing and it's now one of my favorite foods. I love the South East Asian/French fusion with so many herbs, pickles, spices and delicious ingredients in general. I loved the first time I had Vietnamese sandwiches at this great bakery and they cost $2. Now that they've become popular, they're often $6 or more at a nicer, hipster restaurant. I don't buy them from those places. I only buy them from my cheap sandwich shops (though I've raised my budget to $3... sometimes you have to)

The next time you want a different sandwich, give this one a try. It's refreshing and delicious.

Ingredients for pickled vegetables
  • equal parts carrot and daikon, julienned on a mandolin
  • rice vinegar
  • white sugar
  • salt
Directions
  1. Add vinegar, sugar an a big pinch of salt to a pan on the stove. Bring to a boil and taste to make sure it's balanced. Add more sugar if needed.
  2. Pour vinegar mix over vegetables and place in the refrigerator for several hours until pickles are done and cool
Ingredients for Sandwich
  • Small French rolls
  • Pate
  • Tofu/chicken/beef/pork marinated in fish sauce, lime and chili
  • Cilantro, mint and basil
  • Pickled vegetables
  • Fresh sliced jalapenos
  • Cucumber
  • Mayonaise
Directions
  1. Place rolls in the oven until slightly toasty. Let cool before slicing in half.
  2. Spread mayo and a thin slice of pate on the bread. Add pickled vegetables, herbs, desired meet, cucumber and jalapenos.
  3. Add sriracha if desired and enjoy.

Comments