Secret Recipe Club - French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms


It's Secret Recipe Club time of month again! It feel like it's been so long since the last update even though I know it's been less than a month. So much has happened in that time. I got a new job (which I love), my husband and I have been planning our trip back to California for his sister's wedding and we've been dining outside (or going to happy hour on the patio of our favorite bar) almost every day.

I can't believe how busy we've been, but I'm still so happy I've continued to make time for this blog and participation in Secret Recipe Club. I find that I update less (now that I have a job where I have to be on the computer all day) but I still come back to this blog for Secret Recipe Club. I now also get a greater enjoyment from my cooking now that I don't do that for a living anymore. I assure you, all of these changes have been for the best. I'm so happy with the direction my life (personal and professional) is taking.

This week, I was assigned The Savvy Kitchen and got to explore her wonderful recipes. The author, Amy, is a wife/mother living in Northern Virginia (me too!) She makes so many recipes, but mostly specializes in gluten free, low calorie foods. She is the mother of an adorable baby boy (almost two years old) who also enjoys running, reading, spending time with family and friends (all things I enjoy as well). She updates quite frequently, so make sure to check out her amazing looking recipes.

 I searched through the recipes a little but I didn't have to search very long. As soon as I saw these French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms, I knew my search was over. My husband and I both love French Onion Soup and I was looking for appetizers to bring to a friend's house. These were a hit in our house for the flavor, the ease and preparation and the price (normally I make stuffed mushrooms with crab, which tastes wonderful but is a problem for the pocketbook). We didn't even want to bring them to our friend's house after we made them... we wanted to eat all of them in one sitting.

I changed up a couple things in her recipe to make it a little closer to how I make French onion soup, but I didn't change much. I highly recommend this recipe and all the other things on The Savvy Kitchen. Check it out ASAP.

Thanks for the great inspiration Amy!

French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients
  • 24 crimini or white button mushrooms
  • 2 large yellow onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • splash of brandy
  • pinch of thyme/caraway seed
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 8 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • cheese (I use combo swiss and parmesan, but gruyere is great as well)
  • parsley for garnish
Directions
  1. Wipe the dirt from the mushrooms (do not wash) and remove stems. Chop the stems fine and set aside.
  2. Sautee onions and garlic with the melted butter for about half an hour until very soft and sweet. At the start, season the onions with salt, pepper, thyme and caraway (caraway is really strong, so not too much)
  3. After onions are tender, add brandy, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until reduced and remove from the pan.
  4. Sautee the mushroom stems for 10 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated. Mix with the onions and adjust seasoning as necessary.
  5. Take the mushroom caps and place them in the same skillet, cap side down. Cook for a couple minutes before flipping them and cover the pan for a couple minutes (this will steam them and make them tender)
  6. Remove the mushrooms to a small baking dish. Blot the insides with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and fill with the onion mix. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
  7. Move mushrooms to broiler to brown the top. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.

Comments

  1. My husband loves stuffed mushrooms, but have never made them at home because of the price involved. I can handle buying the ingredients for these though. I'll have to surprise my husband with them soon. Happy SRC day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite type of stuffed mushroom! Yours look divine!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! These look really good and a different spin on traditional stuffed mushrooms. Great choice for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy! I wouldn't want to share either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I think I know what I am bringing the next time I need to make an appetizer for a party! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookmarking these...my husband would absolutely flip for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuffed mushrooms are always a hit for me! Fantastic pick for SRC Sweetie! I had your blog this month and loved every minute of it! Congrats on your new job!!! So exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed these! They're one of our favorites too ;) Thank you for the nice write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these look so good. I haven't had stuffed mushrooms in forever, amking these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow these look SO good! i cannot wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH wow. These sound amazing!!! Great choice. I love stuffed mushrooms but would probably be the only one who ate them..lol...visiting from Group C as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love love love stuffed mushrooms but I rarely make them because my husband isn't a mushroom fan. Tragic, right?! These look wonderful, and I'm definitely going to try them next time we have a party to go to, and I'm asked to bring an appetizer. Yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious! A great appetizer and a great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment