Apple Cheese Blintzes

 
When I was growing up, I remember going to Mother's day brunch every year with my parents and grandparents. We always went to the Hyatt downtown for their Mother's day buffet and my favorite thing was the blueberry blintzes. They were a little sweet with a cottage cheese filling. I know that's not how you should eat at a buffet. I know that's not the smart way to do brunch (the smart way, as we all know, is to fill up on bottomless mimosas and the most expensive things possible, i.e. smoked salmon and prime rib carving station, when available.)
 
My family stopped going there for brunch when I was about 10 years old but I still remember how much I loved the blueberry blintzes. Now I hate buffets (especially brunch buffets) and I would never go back for fear of it ruining my childhood memories, but I knew I had to try making blintzes for myself. I had to use stewed apples because that's what I had, but it was an awesome change. Still not as good as the blueberry, but not bad.
 
This recipe came from Smitten Kitchen and it was wonderfully and all mine with a couple tweaks. I knew upon reading it that it was a recipe that I could trust because it called for quark (which I don't use, but which is traditional) and her mother in law makes it. I make my own crepes and I don't have a real recipe, so you can use her recipe if you like. I'll give you my rough proportions below.

 
Ingredients for crepes
  • A couple eggs
  • Equal volume of milk
  • some flour
  • pinch of salt
Ingredients for filling
  • 2 cups quark, farmers cheese or medium curd cottage cheese (I used ricotta in these pictures and it was not as good)
  • about 1/4 cup of sour cream or crème fraiche (more if desired)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • zest of half a lemon
  • sugar to taste (about 2-4 Tbsp)
  • an egg if you desire a firmer blintz
Directions
  1. Crack a couple eggs in a measuring cup. Then pour in the same amount of milk and mix. Add flour until the right consistency is reached and let sit for half an hour at room temperature. Strain out the lumps and adjust amount of milk as needed. Then make crepes in a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. I have no way to help you flip the crepes. I just use my fingers to flip them (but then again, I am a badass)
  2. Mix together all ingredients for the filling. Place a little in the middle of the crepe and fold like an envelope. Then fry the blintz in a little butter until browned on the outside.
  3. Top with your desired stewed fruit (blueberries or cherries are best, but I used apples cooked in a little butter, brown sugar and lemon juice).


Comments