Flounder Meuniere


I go to the grocery store about three times per week.

I like the European style of going to the market multiple times per week to get fruits/vegetables/meats when they are fresh. That's one of the things I loved most about living in California. I lived close to markets where I could do my shopping every day.

Now I have to do my grocery shopping at regular grocery stores, but I try to make the best of it.  Sometimes I find great specials that I know I have to buy that day, even when I had originally planned to make something different for supper.

Whenever I find whole fish at the market, I always buy it. Last week, I found whole flounder and knew I had to make Flounder Meuniere (because that is how you should always prepare any whole flat fish). It's super easy, delicious and makes a beautiful tableside presentation that's impressive for most people. This is very traditional French, but it's not the complicated French cuisine people normally think about. This is easy, wonderful, French at its finest.

There was one problem with this fish: I bought it with the head and tail on and when I got home, I realized I didn't have any pans big enough to cook it. I was so sad that I had to cut the head and tail off, so make sure you own a very large (15 inch or larger) nonstick pan before you decide to do this. IF not, you're going to have to cut off the head and tail and it won't be as nice when you serve it.

Flounder Meuniere
Ingredients
  • 1 whole flounder, dover sole or flat fish (about 1 1/2 lbs)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Flour for dredging
  • Unsalted butter (about 4 Tbsp)
  • 1 lemon
  • splash of white wine
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 tsp capers
Directions
  1. Cut the fins off the fish with scissors and peel the skin. To peel it, you just want to cut a little at the tail and slowly rip the skin off towards the head. Use a knife if you need to, but you should be able to do without.
  2. Salt and pepper the fish well and dredge the entire thing in flour.
  3. Melt about 2 Tbsp butter in a nonstick skillet and fry the fish on both sides for about 6 minutes on each side until fish is cooked.
  4. Remove fish from the pan to cool. Sautee minced shallots in the butter in the pan. Deglaze with a little white wine and allow to reduce until completely evaporated. Remove from heat and add the juice of one lemon and a spoon full of capers.
  5. Stir in the remaining butter (more if necessary) slowly so it emulsifies to form a sauced. Serve with your fish, roasted potatoes and vegetables. Serve with a little extra lemon if desired.
Note: you can filet the fish tableside using two spoons. Just run one spoon along the spine of the fish to pull the meat away from the bones. There are plenty of videos on youtube to watch if you want to learn to filet Dover Sole tableside. Make sure you don't overcook the fish, otherwise it will fall apart (but undercook it and the bone won't come out)


Comments