Popcorn Balls


I make these popcorn balls  whenever my husband and I go to the movies. My mother raised me to bring the big purse to the theatre filled with candy and bottles of soda. My husband doesn't believe in doing things that way. He talks to me about how the only way they make any money is off concessions, etc etc. I still don't like buying concessions, but I do it.

However, there is one theatre that has the BEST concessions ever and I have no problem buying from them. I mean, of course you're going to have the best concessions when your main offerings are beer, wine, kim chi hot dogs, toasted caramel corn and tandoori yogurt popcorn (my favorite). This theatre shows a lot more independent/artsy films, so we went there A LOT this past December for all the great Oscar bait films (Theory of Everything, Imitation Game, Foxcatcher, etc)

The last time we went, we had some leftover toasted caramel popcorn that I didn't want to throw away. I brought it home and made these popcorn balls. Popcorn balls are pretty strange because I don't actually like them. They always taste stale and strange yet you can't stop eating them. My husband shares my sentiments and said, "It tastes like you're eating sweet Styrofoam, yet I can't stop eating it).

So make it if you want, but it's not like you're doing anything else with that movie theatre popcorn.

Popcorn Balls
Ingredients
  • 3 cups leftover popped popcorn
  • 2 1/2 cups marshmallows
  • 1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 roasted peanuts, candy, etc.
Directions
  1. Melt butter and marshmallows in a pot. Stir in popcorn, nuts and candy until fully coated.
  2. Form popcorn mix into balls with buttered or gloved hands. Let set and enjoy the weird Styrofoam texture.

Comments