Kinako Ice Cream


My Christmas list for my mother-in-law this year included books on homemade ice cream. My mother in law is super organized and has a great Google doc excel spread sheet for the entire family  that everyone fills out for Secret Santa (for my husband's siblings and their significant others). It makes shopping way easier than it is in my family.

So she got me some great "not turtleneck, not ugly plaid, long sleeve,  petite extra small" shirts and the David Lebowitz book "The Perfect Scoop" on homemade ice cream (as well as some home goods for both my husband and me).

A lot of the recipes in this book are super interesting. Some of them are savory and some are sweet but I'll probably make all of them at some point. I started with something a little more basic by making the Kinako ice cream recipe.

For those who don't know, kinako is a Japanese roasted soybean flour and it is AMAZING. It takes some getting used to (my husband and a lot of my Caucasian friends thought it was strange. My Asian friends thought it was amazing). Kinako tastes like a cross between toasted sesame seeds and peanut butter. It smells very sweet but doesn't taste super sweet. You would serve kinako as a dessert sprinkled over ice cream or mixed with sugar and used to dredge mochi (rice cakes).

It's not for everyone, and it's not ultra smooth because it is made with soybean flour, but it's worth trying out.

Kinako Ice cream
Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 6 Tbsp kinako
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 cups cream
  • 6 egg yolks
Directions
  1. Whisk together milk, kinako, salt, cream and half the sugar in a pot. Whisk together egg yolks and the rest of the sugar in a separate bowl.
  2. Heat milk until scalded and temper into your eggs. Stream eggs back into the pot while whisking.
  3. Cook egg and cream mixture over low for a minute or two until it passes the back of the spoon test (you can run your finger along the back of a wooden spoon and it doesn't immediately run back together).
  4. Remove from heat immediately and pour through a fine strainer. Chill in a bowl of ice and refrigerate overnight.
  5. Churn according to ice cream maker directions.

Comments