I love lemon meringue pie. This year I decided to make lemon meringue pie for pi day (a little late on this post, I know) and it was a big hit with my fiance. It's super easy and you really can't go wrong with something adapted from a 1970s Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. They do certain things well, and pie is definitely one of them.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 T flour
- 3 T cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ c water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 T butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 9 inch pie crust
- 6 T white sugar
- Pre-bake pie crust for 10 minutes at 400 degrees
- Mix sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt together. Add lemon juice, zest and water.
- Bring to boil and temper beaten egg yolks with the . Add eggs and butter to the juice mixture and stir until thickened.
- Pour curd into pie crust.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add 6 Tbsp white sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pour meringue over the top, making sure to seal the edges and prevent weeping.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 until lightly browned.
- Cool completely before serving.