Sourdough Surprises: Sourdough Irish Soda Bread


I've been encouraged for quite some time to submit to the blog Sourdough Surprises, a monthly blog collective that attempts to use sourdough starter in interesting ways. I normally use my extra unfed starter to make waffles or danishes but I've never used it to make Irish soda bread before. I thought it was worth a shot.

I adapted the recipe from the King Arthur Flour website. I remember this being a mediocre at best recipe. It was too dry and crumbly even though I added raisins originally not called for in the original recipe. I don't remember exactly if that's what went wrong and I don't know if it was my fault. I only know that King Arthur Flour normally has great recipes for sourdough and this wasn't one of them. It could also be that whole wheat quickbreads usually suck, but maybe that's just me.

I probably won't make this again, but you might like it. I much prefer my future husband's family recipe for Irish Soda Bread

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 Tbsp caraway seeds
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp and a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup unfed sourdough starter
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Mix all ingredients together until they form a ball. Add more milk if necessary so it holds together.
  3. Form into a slightly flattened round and mark with a large cross across the entire loaf
  4. Bake for half and hour until loaf is golden and tester is clean

This post has been submitted to Yeastspotting


Comments