Salad Lyonaisse is one of my favorite breakfasts. It feels healthy because it is a salad with only a light dressing, but it is so rich at the same time because of that poached egg and a fair amount of crispy bacon.
I don't have a a recipe for this salad. Everything is basic ingredients but the way they are combined is what makes it special. It doesn't traditionally have tomatoes, but I will include them when I have good ones
- Mixed greens (preferably lots of arugula, frisee or other bitter greens)
- Tomatoes (optional)
- 3 or 4 strips of crispy thick cut bacon
- Crusty bread
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- champagne or sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make your dressing by mixing the mustard with a little honey. Add the vinegar and slowly whisk in oil until the dressing comes together. Salt to taste.
- Cut and grill your toast points. Set aside
- Cut your bacon into thin strips and cook down until crispy. Add about a tablespoon of minced shallots and cook until soft. Remove bacon. (Note, you can use the bacon grease to make the salad dressing if you prefer)
- Poach your egg so the white is set but the yolk is as runny as possible.
- Toss your greens, warm bacon, shallots and a little dressing together. Immediately top with hot poached egg and toast points.
- Break egg to coat salad and eat immediately