Great depression one pan Chocolate Cake - no milk, eggs or butter


I was on Pinterest and found a recipe on Sweet Little Bluebird for this cake. It was described as a "Great Depression Cake" because it has no milk, eggs or butter. I imagine coco and sugar would have also been expensive during the depression, but I figured I would give this cake a shot.

We were out of milk and eggs when I made this cake last night, but it did not disappoint. I usually don't like making vegan desserts because it involves weird ingredients like Earth Balance, soy milke or egg replacer, but this didn't have any of that. Totally my kind of vegan cake. It was very moist with a dense, almost sticky crumb. Even the frosting is vegan (and it's one of the easiest frostings I've ever made)

I'll keep this cake in my arsenal for anyone with egg allergies.



Great Depression Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cup AP flour
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened coco powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup water

Ingredients for frosting
  • 4 oz semi sweet chocolate
  • 3 Tbsp peanut butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix dry ingredients in an ungreased 8 inch square pan (I used a 9 inch round pan)
  3. Make 3 small wells in the dry ingredients. Add vinegar, vanilla and oil to each well and pour water over the top. Mix well until smooth
  4. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set in the center
  5. Meanwhile, put chocolate and peanut butter in a double boiler. Mix until smooth
  6. Pour over cake and let cool. Eat and enjoy.

Comments