Creole Tomato and Onion Salad


At first, the idea of an onion and tomato salad just did not sound good. I've learned so many new things since moving to the south, and have expanded my palate in so many ways. Is this onion salad an everyday thing? No. But it's a good refreshing summer side dish that's spicy and flavorful enough to go with more plain dinner foods like chicken or grits.

For this salad I used "Shut My Mouth" brand creole mustard (which I purchased simply because I liked the name. You need to say it like a sassy black woman. At least in my mind that's how you say it...)

Creole mustard is different than regular mustard because it's mixed with horseradish, worcestershire sauce and vinegar. You could also use stone ground mustard if you did not want as strong a flavor, but I like the pungent flavor of all parts of the creole mustard.

Note: all amounts are guesses. Adjust to fit personal taste

Creole Onion Tomato Salad

Ingredients

  • 5 roma tomatoes, cut into 1/8 or 1/6 sections
  • 1 small red onion, shaved into rings on a mandolin (I would use Maui or a sweeter onion next time)
  • Creole mustard
  • 1 tsp mayonaise
  • honey (optional)
  • Chives for garnish
Directions
  1. Slice tomatoes and onions as desired.
  2. Mix mayonaise with creole mustard in a separate bowl until you reach desired spice level. Add honey if desire to add sweetness and round out the flavors
  3. Toss onion and tomatoes lightly with dressing.
  4. Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with chives.

Comments