Oatmeal is a perfect breakfast food. It's full of fiber, including soluble fiber (which helps lower cholesterol). Yet even though oatmeal is a great breakfast food, it gets boring very quickly.
I found this recipe for a baked oatmeal that makes about 4 servings. You can keep them multiple days and just heat it up in the morning. Its a new, interesting way of doing oatmeal. Best of all, it has a little crunch from the quinoa.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup frozen berries or sliced apples
- Mix together oats, quinoa, bran, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, egg, vanilla, and one mashed banana. Mix with the dry ingredients
- Great a loaf pan and lay 1 sliced banana along the bottom and half the berries. Pour in oat mixture and top with remaining berries
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until golden and slightly puffed.