Book Review: Salt a World History - Mark Kurlansky

To view all of my book reviews (not just the food related ones), please check out my Goodreads account




Title: Salt: A World History
Author: Mark Kurlansky
Published: Penguin Books, 2002
Pages: 484 pages


This book was really interesting. Salt is such a common substance and I only knew vaguely of its history. I knew of its food uses (originally out of necessity and now as a delicacy) and a large part of the book gave me a craving for salt cod and bacon. I learned some great things but it was just too long. It was interesting for the first 300 pages but the next 150 pages were just dull. It was simply a rehash of the same themes covered before. All societies use salt, it was very valuable before the discovery of its abundance, and here are a few cool anecdotes and some really old recipes for salted food.

I would have given it 4 stars if it had been shorter.

Comments