Lemon Caper Quinoa Patties


Quinoa has been one of my favorite foods since my college days at Berkeley. I lived with quite a few vegetarians/vegans in a cooperative house and had to get used to cooking all sorts of things I'd never cooked before. Quinoa was by far my favorite discovery. It's full of protein and fiber. It's gluten free, and it's one of the best ancient grains. It takes on whatever flavors you impart into it, and it creates a very filling side or main dish.

I could spend an entire post extolling the virtues of quinoa, but for now I'll give you one of my favorite quinoa main dish recipes. I love capers, so I added some extra. You can reduce the amount if it suits you.


Quinoa Patties (makes 8)
Ingredients

  • 1 ⅓ cups cooked quinoa
  • splash soy sauce
  • 1 ½ Tbsp capers
  • 2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
  • 1 egg
  • ½ chopped onion
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • pinch of allspice
  • zest of one lemon
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • olive oil for frying

Directions
  1. Cook quinoa with a splash of soy sauce in the water. You’ll have 1 serving of leftovers if you do ¾ cup quinoa with 1 ½ cup water. Bring water to a boil, add rinsed quinoa and simmer covered until liquid is absorbed.
  2. While quinoa is cooking, mix together all other ingredients except olive oil.
  3. Form quinoa into patties and fry until crispy on both sides. Serve with a small dollop of greek yogurt and chives if desired.

Comments