Limoncello



I don't know if I can call a drink this alcoholic "refreshing". I don't know if I should be able to call something like this a summer drink. It's very strong, Italian liquor made my steeping lemon zest but it's a great digestif on a warm summer day. And if you want a daytime cocktail, it's best mixed with sparkling water, an extra twist of fresh lemon, perhaps a few fresh fruits.

Limoncello

Ingredients
  • 10 organic lemons
  • 1 liter Everclear
  • 750 grams sugar
  • 1 liter water

Directions
  1. Zest lemon in strips, making sure not to also remove the bitter pith. Place in glass mason jar
  2. Pour everclear over lemon zest and let sit for 10 to 14 days in a cool dark place, shaking once each day
  3. After infusion is ready, remove lemon zest. Boil water and sugar until dissolved. Add lemon zest and let cool to room temperature
  4. Remove lemon zest and add lemon infused everclear to the simple syrup. Strain limoncello through cheesecloth and into clean bottles.

Comments

  1. Yum! I adore Limoncello, but have never summoned the courage to make my own. With some backyard lemons on my bench, maybe this is the prompt I need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment