Sourdough Bread Pudding



Bread pudding has always been one of my favorite desserts, but I've never cared for the extremely wet bread pudding. This bread pudding isn't soupy, but more dry and firm. It's got a great sweetness and vanilla flavor with some soft spots and crunchy bits.

I made the sourdough myself about a month ago. Since my starter makes two loaves, this one was in my freezer for a month until i could make bread pudding or french toast with it. This was a great recipe, and something I will definitely do again.
Sourdough Bread Pudding
Ingredients
  • 4 -5 cups stale bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 ½ cups sliced apples
  • ½ cups raisins
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp whiskey
  • ½ cup sliced almonds or pecans
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Toss raisins, apples and stale bread together and press firmly in into a 9 inch baking dish.
  3. Mix eggs, butter, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and whiskey together and pour over bread, making sure to soak every piece equally. Firmly pressbread into pan, submerging as much as possible in liquids. Top with nuts.
  4. Bake for 1 hour until liquid center is set. Press bread into liquid again midway through.
  5. Let cool a little before serving, but not much.

Comments