I have never subscribed in the belief for food with special dietary restrictions. Most of my friends feel the same way. They shun most things vegan and gluten free if those foods are pretending to be real food (such as coconut flour pretending to be cake, or something as sinister as vegan cheesecake)
One of my coworkers asked me to make him a dessert with coconut flour as be has been trying to keep a gluten free diet. It wasn't as restrictive as vegan or dairy free or no refined sugars, so I decided to give gluten free baking a try for the first time.
The cake was a lot more moist and spongy than I expected it to be given the density of coconut flour. The fudge frosting was a little too sweet for me, but it was delicious and tasted like a chocolate orange you get at Christmas time. The cake will be a staple for all my gluten free friends in the future. In the future, I will also double the recipe to make a double layer cake.
Coconut Flour Orange Cake
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 orange zest
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch cake pan with butter and coconut flour
- Sift together baking soda, salt and coconut flour
- Melt the butter so that half is melted and the other half is very very soft
- Mix in honey, orange zest, eggs and coconutmilk with the butter using electric beaters
- Slowly add coconut flour while mixing, making sure to remove all the lumps from the cake
- Pour cake into pan and bake for half anhour or until cake is set and tester comes out clean.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake with toothpick and squeeze the juice from half an orange over the top
Orange Fudge Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 lb powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2.5 oz unsweetened chocolate
- juice from the other half orange
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together in the top of a double boiler
- Combine sugar, milk and orange juice, mixing with electric beaters.
- Add hot chocolate and butter. Continue mixing on high until thickened and cool
- As necessary, put frosting in the refrigerator to chill faster and continue beating until frosting is the right consistency.
- Frost cake and top with the unsweetened coconut.