Sweet Potato Oatmeal



A few weeks back, I saw a photo on pinterest for Sweet Potato Oatmeal. I didn't even open the link because it sounded far too weird to be enjoyable. But then, about a week ago, I had some leftover roasted sweet potatoes in the refrigerator that I was going to puree anyway for sweet potato pie. I took a spoonful out and added it to my breakfast, just to see how it was. Boy, was this an excellent bowl of oatmeal. It was sweet, super filling and tasted just like sweet potato pie. This was a winner for sure.

Ingredients for person
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 large spoonfulls of pureed sweet potato
  • cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • maple, pecan halves and dried cranberries to taste
Directions
  1. Bring water, milk and ginger to a simmer with a pinch of salt. Add oats, cinnamon, ginger and sweet potato, stirring until liquid is absorbed and oats are cooked through
  2. Stir in maple syrup to taste. Garnish with pecans and dried cranberries.

Comments