Masala Chai Tea

 
Chai tea was one of these things I used to always order at restaurants because I thought it was too difficult to make at home. I actually made a half gallon of chai recently and it was absolutely fantastic. It's super easy to have it hot one day and drink it chilled the other days. Now that I've tried homemade chai, I know I can do it more often at home.
 
Ingredients
  • 6 green cardamom pods
  • 10 cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 tsp black peppercorns
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 star anise pods
  • 1/4 inch piece of ginger, sliced
  • 4 black tea bags
  • 7 cups water
  • 1 cup milk
  • honey to taste
Directions
  1. Combine spices and water in a pot. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and steep for 10 minutes more
  2. Bring water back to boil and then off. Add tea bags and let steep for 5 minute minutes.
  3. Strain out spices and tea. Add milk and honey to taste.

Comments