Flour Tortillas


When my husband and I took our honeymoon to Belize, we had the most amazing flour tortillas. They were larger, soft, puffy and amazing. I've never had tortillas so good in my entire life.

I bought the Flavors of Belize cookbook our on honeymoon and made this recipe for flour tortillas from it. They aren't quite as puffy like the ones we got while we were there, but they are soft, delicious, EASY and about a hundred times better than any flour tortilla you might buy at the grocery store.

I am normally a corn tortilla person, but my husband is a flour tortilla person. I made these because I knew he would like them, but these tortillas could convert me. It is a perfect addition to taco night in any house.

Flour Tortillas
Ingredients (makes 12 6 inch tortillas)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
  • 3/4 cup water
Directions
  1. Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening with a fork.
  2. Add water a little at a time and mix with your hands until smooth. Knead 2 or 3 minutes  until smooth
  3. Divide dough into 12 pieces, cover and rest for 15 minutes
  4. On a well floured surface, roll dough until flat and very thin
  5. In a very hot cast iron pan or griddle, cook each tortilla bout 1 or 2 minutes on each side until slightly puffed. Eat immediately.

Comments