Daring Bakers "Crazy for Crackers" cheddar rosemary walnut edition


It's time for another challenge from The Daring Kitchen.

Our July 2012 Daring Bakers' Host was Dana McFarland and she challenged us to make homemade crackers! Dana showed us some techniques for making crackers and encouraged us to use our creativity to  make each cracker our own way my using ingredients we love.

I opted to follow one of the recipes she provided because we had all of the ingredients in house. I've also made crackers in the past like wheat thins, so I wanted to do something I had not done before. Hand rolling my wheat thins did not work out so well, as they were never thin enough. This time, I decided to try slicing the crackers like icebox cookies.

The crackers turned out well and I loved the flavor profile, but I was not a fan of making crackers in this style. My cuts were never quite even, and because I used almonds instead of walnuts, it was more difficult to get even cuts. I would make this recipe again though.

Cheddar Rosemary Walnut Crackers

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 Tbsp chopped rosemary
  • A couple cracks of fresh black pepper
Directions
  1. Mix together softened butter with cheese, flour and salt until uniform paste forms. Add in rosemary and walnuts and mix until uniform.
  2. Roll dough into a cylinder in plastic wrap and freeze at least one hou
  3. Thinly slice crackers (no thicker than 1/5inch) and bake on parchment paper at 325 degrees for about 10-12 minutes

Comments