Chicken Salad Sandwiches: aka the best lunches are made with leftovers!


Dinner last night was a simple at home affair. We had roast chicken, asparagus and mushroom risotto. Nothing fancy or too complicated: just good old fashioned home cooking. However, home cooking for two has its drawbacks. There's always so much food left over, that you constantly have to think of ways to transform it.

I spent my entire Saturday morning working, so our late afternoon lunch for two people was something simple. I've never been a fan of mayonaise based salads, but I love a good chicken salad sandwich above tuna and egg. It's perfect on a spring day, especially right around tea time.

Chicken Salad Sandwiches (for 2)

Ingredients

  • 4 slices bread of choice
  • 2 leaves romain lettuce
  • about 1 cup leftover chicken, pulled
  • 1 celery rib, diced
  • 3 sprigs tarragon, minced (about 2 tsp)
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries 
  • 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, broken into small pieces
  • 1 Tbsp stone ground mustard
  • 1 large spoon full of mayonaise 
  • 1 Tbsp minced chives
  • salt and pepper to taste
I hope I don't need to include directions on how to make a sandwich. Mix all ingredients together, then place between 2 slices of bread. Add some lettuce in the middle.

I didn't actually measure any of my ingredients today. These are all guesses. All measurements should be adjusted according to taste, but they're good guidelines to start. Enjoy!

This post has been submitted to Yeastspotting, you know, because it involves bread.

Comments