Homemade Samoas


It's been a while since I've been to this website. Life has been so crazy that I haven't had time to update as much as I would like. Worse, I haven't had time to cook as much as I would like.  But I knew I needed to share a couple more recipes with my few loyal readers.

I realized the other day that it was almost Girlscout cookie season. I made these a couple months ago but haven't had the time to update this blog with a post. I used a 70% dark chocolate instead of regular semi sweet. It cuts the sweetness of the caramel a little bit, and you only need the smallest amount of chocolate on the bottom of the cookie to give a fantastic richness.

It's easy to find plenty of recipes for these same cookies anywhere on the internet, but that does not diminish my appreciation for them, nor my need to share.


Samoas

Ingredients

  • ½ cup butter
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • ⅛ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ t salt
  • ¼ t vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • 1 ½ cup toasted coconut
  • 7 oz soft caramels
  • pinch salt
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 4 oz chocolate


Directions
  1. Cream together butter and sugar. Add flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla and 1 Tbsp milk to form cookie dough
  2. Wrap cookies and chill for 1 hour. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness and cut rings from the cookies
  3. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Let cool completely before putting chocolate and caramel on them
  4. Melt caramels with milk and mix in toasted coconut
  5. Melt chocolate. Dip the bottoms and drizzle over the tops.

Comments