Sourdough Pizza Crust


Before I begin, let me apologize for the picture. I took beautiful pictures of pizza only to realize after dinner that I had not put my memory card in the camera. I could only take photos of the leftovers, but as you can see, dinner was very popular. I made a zucchini mushroom feta pizza, a tomato basil pizza and an asparagus pancetta.

I also do not believe in tomato sauce on pizzas I make myself, so these are herbed olive oil only.

I got the recipe for this from the Cheeseboard Recipe Book. I lived a 10 minute walk away from the Cheese Board when I was in college. Their pizzas were so delicious. I can do all my own toppings, but their crust is pretty damn good. But nothing I've created is nearly as delicious as their arugula, corn, feta, pine nut and key lime pizza. Mmmmm so damn good. It won't have those great giant blisters like napolitano style pizzas, but it does have a crisp yet chewy California style crust. That in itself is pretty good.

This post has been submitted to Yeastspotting

Sourdough Pizza Dough

Ingredients
  • 16 oz bread flour
  • 1 ½ cups cool water
  • 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
  • 4 oz sourdough starter at 100% hydration
Directions

  • Mix together flour and water. Let rest for 10 minutes
  • Add salt and starter. Mix and knead for 15 minutes or until dough is springy and passes the windowpane test.
  • Place dough in oiled bowl and let proof for 6-8 hours until doubled in size. If resting overnight in refrigerator, let dough come up to temperature for 2 hours before proceeding with recipe
  • Divide dough into 3 pieces and shape into loose rounds. Let rest 20 minutes
  • Stretch dough into 10 inch circles. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Bake pizza on the bottom rack on a baking sheet for 6 minutes. Move to top rack of the oven and bake 10 more minutes
  • Slide pizza out of pan and finish on the bottom oven rack for 4 minutes.

Comments