Ground turkey is one of those things I never purchase unless it's on sale. It's always pricey but when its on sale, I stock up. I'm always looking for new things to make with turkey that aren't chili or burgers, but these meatballs were a great change. They include all the great flavors that you love from Vietnamese food and keep well through the next day. They make a great salad and they would be just as great in soup.
Summer may be ending, but I always love one of these hearty salads every day of the year. Give it a try when you need something delicious and different.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 piece lemongrass, tender center part minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch scallions
- 1 tsp fresh chopped mint leaves
- 2 tsp fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- corn starch, as needed
- lettuce, rice noodles, cucumbers, tomato, carrot, herbs and nouc cham for serving
- Mix all ingredients together except the items for serving. Cook a small amount in a pan and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Form into meatballs and brown on all sides in a pan. Move to a tray and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-15 minutes or until cooked through