Wonton Soup


I can't think of anything better than soup on a cold day. Today in the DC area, we're having a monster blizzard with a projected 2+ feet of snow. I've never experienced that much snow before in my life and it's cool to see. Mostly, I'm glad I don't have to go to work and I just get to sit home and enjoy watching the snow fall.

This version on wonton soup is extremely easy and so much tastier than anything you'll get at a chinese restaurant. You can buy pre-made wontons for your soup, In my case, I used homemade pork gyoza that I already had in the freezer and they were quite delicious.

Wonton Soup
Ingredients (for 2)

  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 8-10 pieces pork wontons or gyoza
  • 6 pieces baby bok choy (hard inner stem removed)
  • Napa cabbage
  • Green onion
  • 1 can water chestnuts
  • 4 pieces dried shitake mushroom
  • 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic
  • Soy sauce or fish sauce as needed
Directions
  1. Mince the garlic and ginger. Place in a small saucepan with shitake mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
  2. Place a steamer pot over the top of your broth and steam wontons until cooked.Set aside until ready to serve
  3. Add bok choy, cabbage, sliced water chestnuts to broth. Simmer until vegetables are cooked through. Removed dried mushrooms, cut off stems, julienne and return to broth.
  4. Season broth to taste as needed. Return wonton to broth with green onions. Serve immediately. 

Comments