Almond Biscotti

 
There are certain recipes I change (I'll put my own spin on them, I'll tweak them, whatever) and certain ones that I don't mess with. Almond biscotti is one of those recipes that needs no tweaks. It's just a perfect, crunchy cookie that I love with morning (or afternoon) tea. I don't drink coffee any more save after meals (the acid upsets my stomach too much) but I love a good cup of tea at all hours of the day. 

I like the chocolate ones (sometimes) but plain ones are great too. My husband likes the plain ones best but we only have chocolate pictured. Didn't even give it time to dry, just enough time to put the chocolate on.

I ended up making these biscotti for my coworker's birthday. She's not much for parties or celebration, so this was just the thing for someone who doesn't want cake or candles or obnoxious singing coworkers. Give this recipe a shot the next time you want biscotti (best of all, these last forever... that is, if you can stop yourself from eating them).

Almond Biscotti
Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 3/4 cup AP flour
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder
  3. Mix sugar, eggs and extracts together until sugar is dissolved and eggs come up in ribbons when beaters are pulled away.
  4. Add sifted flour and mix until just combined. Fold in almonds
  5. Press dough into a log 12" x 3". Bake for 25 minutes.
  6. Remove log from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice into biscotti and place, cut side down, on the sheet pan. Lower oven temperature to 325 and bake for 20 more minutes, flipping biscotti halfway through.
  7. Top with chocolate if desired, eat with coffee, etc.

Comments