Mulligatawny Soup

 
I just got back from the eye doctor and they told me I have a stye. Gross. I'm glad I went in now after only 3 days of it hurting as opposed to a week from now when it would have gotten much worse. I can thank my husband for that. It's an internal eyelid stye, not an external one, so it doesn't look gross. It just feels uncomfortable.
 
They wrote me my prescription for antibiotics and my eyelid cream and I just realized I can't drink anything for 10 days. And it's the Superbowl! Life sucks sometimes, but I guess this is better than getting glaucoma and going blind. It could be worse.
 
In case you haven't heard, we've been getting  "blizzard" on the East Coast of underwhelming proportions. By that, I mean DC was forecasted to get a 6-8 inches of snow and we got about an inch. It's cold, but it wasn't even cold enough to merit soup. It doesn't matter though, because this soup is absolutely delicious.
 
Mulligatawny is an amazing soup created by British imperialists during their colonization of India. It has all the great flavors and complexities of curry but it is still definitely a creamy European style soup. This is my favorite soup ever. Every time I make it, I make a big pot and freeze it to eat whenever I want. It's delicious and I'm absolutely sure you'll love it too.
 
Mulligatawny Soup
Ingredients
  • 1 4 lb chicken, cut into quarters
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 leek (white parts only)
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 3 ribs of celery, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 4 Tbsp curry powder
  • 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 2 granny smith apples , peeled, cored and diced
  • 2/3 cup long grain rice
  • 3 quarts chicken stock
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup whipping cream
  • lemon juice (about 1 Tbsp)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cilantro and slivered almonds to garnish
 
Directions
  1. Sautee the chicken in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven using a couple tablespoons of butter. Sautee until chicken is well browned on all sides. Remove from pot.
  2. Add onion, garlic, leeks, celery, carrots and spices. Sautee until onion is softened and translucent. Add a little stock to deglaze and scrape up as much fond as possible.
  3. Add the rest of the stock and season to taste. Add the chicken and simmer for 30 minutes until chicken is cooked.
  4. Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Add rice to soup and simmer gently for 15 minutes
  5. Pull chicken or dice into bite sized pieces, discarding skin and bones. Return to soup. Add apples and yogurt and simmer for another 10 minutes
  6. Stir in cream and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning as necessary and serve with cilantro and almonds.


Comments