It's that time of the month again. It's time for Secret Recipe Club. For those who don't know, Secret Recipe club is a group of bloggers who are assigned a fellow member's blog for the month. They make a recipe (in secret, of course) and post it on the same day. It's so much fun to see what everyone else has made from your blog. I look forward to it every month.
This month I was assigned Teaspoon of Spice, a blog run my two dietitians. They run another cooking challenge called Recipe Redux, which is focused on making delicious foods healthy. Because of that, most of the recipes on their blog are healthier, like their Slow Cooker Moroccan Meatballs. There were so many delicious looking things like the Whole pumpkin cheddar gratin or the Butternut squash gnocchi. If the weather had kept up with its cool, rainy sadness like it had for the days before that, I would have made one of those recipes. But we recently had the first glimmer of spring and something more refreshing seemed in order. As anyone who lives on the East Coast knows, spring doesn't last very long before it jumps immediately into oppressive summer. so it's important to take advantage of this perfect weather while it lasts.
I opted for the Limeade Fizz, an easy recipe for a summer day that's perfect to drink outside. This recipe was a little sweet, a little tart and very refreshing. We used both lemons and limes because I didn't have quite enough of either. Next time, I would add some Pimms and a few slices of cucumber for the best summer cocktail. Until then, enjoy this recipe
Sparkling Lemon Limeade
- 2 Tbsp simple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 8 oz sparkling mineral or seltzer water
- slices of lime, sprigs of mint or slices of cucumber to garnish.
- The day before, bring 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup water to boil to create the simple syrup. Put in a jar and refrigerate to use for future cocktails.
- When making the cocktail, Put syrup, lemon, lime and sparkling water in a glass. Stir, taste, and adjust as desired.
- Fill glass with ice cubes and desired garnishes. Serve immediately, preferably when outdoor temperature is above 80 degrees.
BTW, I hope you love my glasses. I got them at a Steal the Pint Night at my local bar for the debut of Ommegang's Fire and Blood Red Ale, their Game of Thrones limited edition release. They are a beautiful high quality glass that I wanted to showcase here.
Also, how did everyone love yesterday's episode? I hate those stupid lead-in episodes