Dark Chocolate Fudge




I have fond memories of a chocolate shop in Provincetown at Cape Cod when I was in high school. I ended up at the beach with a group of friends. The air was golden and the candy at the shop was plentiful and reasonably priced. They made a great dark chocolate and a particularly great peanut butter fudge. I remembered that's where my infatuation with fudge started. I can get the flavored ones like mint chocolate or orange or cheesecake other places, but I've never had a fudge I liked as much as the simple dark chocolate and this candy store.

I tried making my own and though it still needs work on technique, it was better than I expected for a first attempt. It occurred to me that the sheet pan I was using needed to be colder when I poured the chocolate onto it because the fudge ended up a little grainy. Overall, the flavor was bitter, not to sweet, and very creamy. It's perfect for either the holidays or a great day at the beach with the sand between your toes.

Fudge

Ingredients

  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 ½ cup whipping cream
  • ¼ cup corn syrup
  • 6 oz bittersweet chocolate (at least 60% dark)
  • 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Directions

  1. Stir cream, sugar and corn syrup until dissolved.
  2. Stir in chocolate until melted. Bring mix to simmer until it reaches 235 degrees
  3. Remove from heat and pour into a cold bowl. Allow to sit undisturbed until mixture reaches 110 degrees. After, stir vigorously. Mixture should lose its gloss.
  4. Line 9 inch square pan with foil. Pour into pan and chill 2 hours.

Comments