I remember seeing these cookies on a blog this summer and wanting to make them. They seemed so appropriate for the season, especially to bring to a picnic at the beach.
Now that it's no longer summer, and now that I don't live very close to the ocean, anymore, I felt it was appropriate to make them again and bring back a little feeling of summer.
Sand Dollar Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (1 whole, one separated)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- Cinnamon sugar
- sliced almonds
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add 1 whole egg and one egg yolk, vanilla, salt, flour and baking powder until incorporated
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Then preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Roll out cookie dough to ¼ inch thick and cut out 2 inch circles in the cookies. Place on parchment paper and brush with egg white.
- Immediately sprinkle sugar on cookies and press almonds in the center in a star shape
- Bake 4 minutes. Press almonds in again and continue to bake 8 more minutes. Let cool completely before serving.