Soft Garlic Knots



I've made this recipe take from Zoom Yummy twice in the past two weeks. It had been on my to-do list for ages, but I only got around to making it for a dinner party last week. They were such a big hit at the party that I decided to make it again for dinner tonight while cooking for my parents. They too loved these soft garlic knots

This was one of the easiest breads I've made. Not too many ingredients and no careful shaping or slashing. That is easily the area at which I am the weakest: shaping my loaves. The first time I made these loaves, I made them in a house without bread flour. I used all purpose and they took on an almost crisp yet fluffy dinner roll quality. Tonight I made them with bread flour and there was a noticeable difference. The interior was soft yet toothsome. They're not necessarily better or worse, just different. Perhaps next time I'll do a 50/50 ratio to see what happens.
The only hard part about these rolls is making enough. Not only will people wants seconds with dinner, but it will be a struggle not to pull one off the tray and dig in as soon as they come out of the oven. They just smell too good when cooking.


Soft Garlic Knots

Ingredients
  • 3 cups (480 grams) bread flour
  • 1 pack active yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
  • 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 ¼ tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 cup + 2 Tbsp lukewarm water
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 Tbsp melted salted butter
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 Tbsp fresh chopped italian parsley
DirectionsMix sugar, yeast and ¼ cup warm water to let yeast proof for 10 minutes
  1. Combined flour, yeast mixture, salt, olive oil, milk and remaining water in a large bowl, stirring until it comes together.
  2. Knead for 8 minutes on floured work surface until dough passes the window pane test.
  3. Form dough into a lose round and let proof in a greased, covered bowl for 1 hour until doubled in size.
  4. Divide dough into 8 pieces and shape into knots. Roll dough into a long rope like you would a pretzel. Tie a knot in the center.
  5. Fold the rope underlying the knot over the top, and fold the rope overlying underneath, securing in the center.
  6. Let rise another 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  7. While dough is rising, melt butter and combine it with garlic, oregano and parsley
  8. Brush butter over knots just before baking. Bake around 15-20 minutes until golden
This post has been submitted to Yeastspotting

Comments