When trying to create a completely original cupcake idea, I thought of this salad. I thought of just how it changed my opinion of avocado and what an amazing combination this would be, especially when topped with a little pink sea salt.
The cupcakes had a perfect texture. They were dense, but still quite moist and tasted strongly like a grapefruit creamsicle. The avocado was not overpowering and neither was the salt, but provided a complexity for the grapefruit to play against. It was sweet and salty and bitter all at the same time. At first it was a confusing assault on my taste buds, but after the initial bite, it became quite enjoyable.
Grapefruit Cupcakes (makes 24)
- 2 cups (8.5 oz) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp packed grapefruit zest (about 2 grapefruits)
- 1 cup less 3 Tbsp lowfat greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
- In separate bowl, cream butter. Add grapefruit zest and sugar, beating until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated
- Add half the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporate.
- Add vanilla, yogurt and grapefruit juice, mixing until incorporated. Finish with the remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups and bake for 10-15 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- 4 oz ripe avocado meat (about 1 large avocado
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 8 oz powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (optional, depending on if you want a stronger citrus flavor)
- Beat avocado with lemon or lime juice with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth
- Frost cupcakes and garnish with a little sea salt